Next Story
Newszop

Elon Musk ends silence on reports claiming he is leaving Donald Trump government

Send Push
Elon Musk has responded to reports claiming that the Tesla CEO is stepping down from Department of Government Efficiency ( DOGE ) head. Karoline Leavitt, Assistant to the US President and White House Press Secretary replied to an X post by a Washington Columnist stating that President Donald Trump has told his inner circle & members of his Cabinet that Musk will be stepping back in the coming weeks from his current role. Quoting the post, Leavitt wrote: “This ‘scoop’ is garbage. Elon Musk and President Trump have both publicly stated that Elon will depart from public service as a special government employee when his incredible work at DOGE is complete.”


The post caught Elon Musk’s attention who replied with the comments ‘Yeah, fake news’.




It all started when Politico reported that Trump has informed his Cabinet and close associates that Musk would soon step down from his government role. The report also stated that the president and the billionaire had recently agreed that Musk would shift his focus back to his businesses. While Trump kinda confirmed in an interview earlier this week that Elon Musk will be leaving the government, but not the way that the report claimed.


What Donald Trump said about Elon Musk leaving DOGE

Talking to the reporters on Monday, March 31, Trump said that he wants to keep Elon Musk at the White House for as long as he is willing to oversee DOGE before suggesting that the billionaire tech entrepreneur's time could be nearing an end.


He said “I think Elon is amazing but I also think he got a big company to run, so at some point he's going to be going back. He's a very talented guy. He's very smart and has done a good job. DOGE found numbers that nobody can even believe like $400 billion. It could be close to a trillion dollars by the time they end. He's led the charge. These are high IQ people. They have done a great job. At some point, Elon's going to want to go back to his company,” Trump told reporters before signing an executive order targeting ticket-scalping at live events.

Tesla shares rise on reports about Elon Musk’s DOGE exit

After the Politico report, Tesla’s stock ended the session over 5% higher, rebounding from its intraday low, where it had fallen as much as 6.4% due to weaker-than-expected first-quarter vehicle deliveries.

Loving Newspoint? Download the app now